Designed to Scale Structure Resources
A paradigm-shifting book was published in 2022 by Organizational Physics founder and head coach Lex Sisney titled Designed to Scale: How to Structure Your Company for Exponential Growth.
This book explains how to design and change structures in a completely new and yet proven way, using the adaptive systems methodology of Organizational Physics.
The resources on this page support the book and will help you design and change structures to achieve breakthrough business results. Coaching with Lex directly will also benefit large, complex businesses.
Benefits of this Approach to Changing Organizational Structures
You should dive into the resources on this page if you are looking for insightful and proven ways to:
- Design your business for the next stage of growth.
- Create vivid role clarity and accountability across your organization
- Make smarter senior-level hires that stick around and thrive.
- Improve cross-functional coordination and teamwork.
- Drive better metrics-based decision-making.
- Free yourself to work significantly more on the business than in it.
- Launch and grow new business units while sustaining the core.
- Drive strategic execution at scale.
What Other CEOs Are Saying About this Approach to Changing Organizational Structures
“One of the best business books I have ever read.”
– Gareth Dickens, CEO, ConvenientMD
“Simple, logical, profound.”
– Stan Smith, President, Silver Hills
– Michael Cassau, Founder & CEO, Grover
“Master when and how to change structures.”
– Ozzie Goldschmied, former CTO, Ceridian
“Accomplish in 5 days what used to take 3 months.”
– Kristian Gjerding, CEO, CellPoint Digital
“The rarest bird of all—a useful management book.”
– Daniel Needham, President & Chief Investment Officer,
Morningstar Investment Management
Introduction to Designed to Scale
What is Structure?
Structure is how your business is organized. If you want to get your business to do something new, then at key points in its development, you’ll need to look at and change its structure.
The 3 Building Blocks of Organizational Structure
The three design elements of organizational structure are: Functions, Location, and Authority. Use these three building blocks to avoid some common pitfalls and design the right new structure for your business stage and strategy.
The 6 Rules of Organizational Structure
There are 6 Rules of Structure to follow when designing a scalable business structure. They are:
1. If the strategy or lifecycle stage changes, change the structure.
2. Don’t allow short-range functions to control long-range ones.
3. Don’t allow efficiency functions to control effectiveness ones.
4. Don’t allow centralized control to overpower decentralized autonomy.
5. Put people into roles where they can focus and thrive.
6. Process brings structure alive.