Lex Sisney is the creator of Organizational Physics and is an expert at accelerating change in individuals and organizations. He’s grown from co-founder and CEO of the world’s largest affilate marketing company to follow his passion as CEO Coach to the world’s next generation of expansion stage companies.
Lex began his journey as the co-founder, CEO, and Chairman of Commission Junction, the world’s largest affiliate marketing company, which he grew to over 100 employees and 5000% compound annual growth rate over a four year period, and which now processes billions of transactions and supports hundreds of thousands of online publishers and merchants.
Through his own challenges founding and leading fast-growing companies, Lex began a quest to find a simple, effective paradigm for other founders and CEOs to achieve market-leading, differentiated, and profitable positions for their companies. After years of work in this field, Lex discovered that organizational success can be distilled to some simple, yet powerful principles clearly explained by the classic laws of physics – laws that were true 10,000 years ago and will be just as true 10,000 years from now. His unique approach combines a powerful theoretical framework with practical methods to guide organizational leaders toward greater success and work/life satisfaction.
In 2005, Lex published Ready for Enlightenment?, a guide to spiritual development for Type A leaders, which has been endorsed by luminaries like Deepak Chopra, Gay Hendricks, and Barbara Marx Hubbard. In 2012, Lex published Organizational Physics – The Science of Growing a Business which reveals the 6 Laws or universal principles that govern the success or failure of every individual, team, and organization.
My work is driven by the following three principles:
It starts at the top
I work directly with founders and CEOs who sense a big opportunity in front of them and are determined to capture it. This requires vision, intelligence, and passion. I have witnessed firsthand that inspired business ideas, executed swiftly, always trump a purely analytical, “by the numbers” approach. When the founder/CEO is truly committed, the entire organization responds accordingly. So part of my job is to help leaders clarify their vision, commitments, and priorities.
Partner for success
Great leadership needs great advisors – and that’s where CEO coaching fits in. All of my engagements are based on collaboration and partnership. This is not a traditional consultancy that produces reports and performs implementations independently. I work side by side with my clients. Because I am an independent advisor, I provide clarity and a level of perspective that you just can’t get from within the company itself and that helps you uncover the real opportunities.
Don’t fight the physics
The fact is that there are universal laws at work in your life and business. You need to understand and work with them so that you can resolve the underlying conditions that are causing any breakdowns. And although every business is unique, the principles and patterns are always the same. When you can see them, you’re three steps ahead of those who can’t. I help you to understand the principles and see the patterns to turn breakdowns into breakthroughs.
- A company with flat sales the past two years was struggling with accelerating growth. The company co-founders were feeling burned out. In four months we reset the strategy, restructured the organization so the founders could escape low-value tasks, repositioned the story to appeal to investors, and accelerated the product development process. The result? The company raised over $500K in financing, launched a new killer app, and already has a full sales pipeline for the coming year.
- A 5-year-old company had been losing money since its inception. It had a strong culture but was suffering from customer turnover and too many competing priorities, with no way to manage them effectively. In three months we implemented a new go-to-market strategy, restructured the company for clearer ownership, and streamlined the decision-making and product development processes. The result? The company reached cash flow profitability for the first time and is poised to grow from $3M to $7M in the year ahead.
- After Google changed its AdSense algorithm, a 7-year-old international internet company lost 90% of its revenue overnight. Ouch. At the same time, the founder was feeling ready to move on and pursue the next new thing. What did we do? In two months we quickly sold off the business for over six figures, netting a nice profit. Then we launched an entirely new business that the founder is truly passionate about.
- A 6-year-old venture-backed software-as-a-service (SAAS) firm with $3.5M in sales in 2011 was stalled in its expansion strategy. Sales were growing but not nearly fast enough. After six months of searching, the company was 0 for 3 on making critical key hires including a Director of Engineering, a COO, and a VP of Marketing. The board was getting impatient and making rumblings about replacing the founding team. The founders themselves were feeling ambivalent about the business. In three months, we realigned the founding team and helped them rediscover their original passion. We created a new environment for faster execution and uncovered the real market opportunity. The result? The company found and hired three new A+ executives and its momentum is accelerating. Its forecast is growth at around 200% in the coming year.
- A $3M a year venture backed start-up was struggling with focusing it’s strategy and attracting new senior leadership. We put in place a quarterly 1-page strategic execution summary that clarified the strategy, accountabilities, 90-day, 1 year, and 3 year priorities, and the core ideology. We also redesigned the organizational structure, put in place a new management processs, and helped to recruit and integrate a VP of Sales and a VP of Operations. One year later, the company doubled its revenues and is on track to double them again in 2013. At the same time, the company founder and CEO went from spending 10% of his time in his Genius ZoneTM to spending over 60% of his time in that zone.
- In 2012, the regulatory market changed radically on a $35M Inc. 500 Fastest Growing CompanyTM. Using the Strategic Execution Coaching Program, we identified and executed on a new pivot strategy. While its two largest competitors went bankrupt, our client had its most successful quarter ever. In addition, the founder freed himself up significantly from his old role of managing daily operations to his new role of creating new marketing campaigns and developing new markets (two things that he loves to do and add the most enterprise value to the business.)
What Other CEOs Are Saying
“As a leader, is your team organized and aligned to perform optimally for your company? Are your key players in a structure where they can succeed for themselves and for you? Do they want to? Does everyone know the game plan, how they fit into that plan, and how to succeed as an organization? Lex and Organizational Physics will give you a proven framework to optimize your company and ensure that you can execute more seamlessly and powerfully to achieve your goals faster and get results you previously only dreamed of. Don’t take chances. Don’t learn the hard way. You don’t have time. Get the answers that have helped hundreds of leaders world-wide improve the performance and happiness of their organizations from a proven innovator who gets real results with real companies like yours everyday.”
- Justin Bellante, CEO, BioIQ
“Lex provides insight and guidance that you could only get from someone who’s walked in a CEO’s shoes. His method, Organizational Physics, is a no-nonsense approach to building a solid structure that allows for scalability and success. All you need is a business with potential and Lex will provide you with the tools your company needs to get to the next level and beyond.”
- Kelly Foy, CEO, Elite Meetings International, Inc.
“Lex Sisney is a master of finding out the vision you really want to bring into the world – and then making sure you do it, even if that means telling you something you don’t want to hear. He brings his vast entrepreneurial experience to bear on every aspect of your business, helping to guide you through the always murky and treacherous waters of starting or growing a company. But Lex has something extra. He tunes into to every word you say–and even the ‘stuff behind the words’ – and responds from a place that is at once highly intuitive and entirely brass tacks. I’ve never seen such a powerful integration of business instinct, complex thinking, and spiritual inspiration in anyone, ever. It’s Lex’s rare combination of integrity, experience, and commitment to service that enables him to guide so many entrepreneurs to growth, inside and out.”
- Sam Rosen, CEO, Thought Lead
“Working with Lex is making a HUGE difference in the growth of my business. He has developed powerful frameworks to view the entire business lifecycle that are extremely practical. I am able to move much faster, make decisions quickly and chart both near and long term because of our work. Lex is a great compass and sounding board. Lex’s is an extremely accomplished Entrepreneur and very humble, a combination that I admire immensely. I am grateful for the opportunity to have Lex as a trusted advisor/friend/ mentor and coach.”
- Seth Epstein, Emmy Award-Winning Producer
“Lex, in seven months of executive coaching with you I have added an equivalent of $87 million in assets under management, and increased billable fees by 40%. I have discovered where my power comes from and experience more confidence, clarity, and an ability to view my life almost constantly in a positive way. Our engagement has been successful beyond my imagination, and I could not have achieved any of that success without your guidance. Thank you.”
- Kelly Smith, CEO, Certis Capital Management, Inc.
“In the midst of our pursuits, we too often fail to step back and ask obvious but important questions. What really am I trying to accomplish? How do I define success? Where am I expending energy and not seeing a return? Organizational Physics helps answer those questions by providing a framework for breaking down your business (and life) to its functional core. In a wonderful marriage of Eastern and Western philosophies, science and art, Lex’s revelatory approach allows you to assess your circumstances and take decisive action. It is impossible not to reap massive rewards from spending time with Lex — and, having worked with him, I can say without fear of overstatement that humanity would benefit if everyone followed the principles he puts forth.”
- Ophir Tanz, CEO, GumGum
Change begins with a conversation. Contact Lex for coaching, consulting, and speaking engagements: